Mario is the main character and protagonist of the long-running and highly successful Mario series. He was created by Japanese video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto and also serves as the main mascot of Nintendo. Mario made his first appearance as the protagonist of the arcade game Donkey Kong, released in 1981.
Since Super Mario Bros., his trademark abilities have been his jumping and stomping powers, with which he defeats most of his enemies, and his ability to gain powers with a plethora of items, such as the Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, and the Super Star. Games have usually portrayed Mario as a silent character without a distinct personality (Fortune Street is a notable exception).
According to Nintendo's philosophy, this allows Mario to fit in many different genres and roles. In most games, he is the hero that goes on an adventure to save Princess Peach from Bowser, but he has been shown doing many other activities besides adventuring, such as racing and sporting with his younger twin brother and others.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least High 4-C to 3-C, likely 3-B | 2-C | 4-B to 4-A | At least Low 2-C to 2-C | At least 3-A, possibly Low 2-C to 2-A | 2-C | 2-A, possibly High 1-C. High 2-A, possibly Low 1-B w/ the Pure Hearts and the power of wishes
Origin: Donkey Kong (First Appearance), Super Mario Bros (Official debut)
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Versatility, Pyrokinesis without Fire Flower (in some games), Enhanced Jumping skills, Skilled hammer wielder, Time Travel, Shares a telepathic bond with Luigi, Invisibility w/ Invisibility Hat, Meta Possession and Flight w/ Cappy, Various Power-ups such as the Mushroom which grant Size Enhancement, The Fire Flower gives Mario Pyrokinesis, The Mega Mushroom grows the user to gigantic proportions, The Starman grants the user Near Invincibility, The Ice Flower grants Cyrokinesis, The Cape Feather (and several other powerups) grants him Flight, many other abilities, including Transmutation, Animal Manipulation, Size Manipulation, Intangibility, Invisibility, Stat Buffing/Debuffing, Metal Manipulation, Earth Manipulation, Time Manipulation, Cloud Manipulation, Duplication, etc. | Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Skilled in hand to hand combat, Skilled at wielding a hammer, Pyrokinesis (With fire flower), Time Manipulation, Reality Warping and Earthquake Manipulation (With Star Rod), etc., Acausality (As the Pure Hearts are of similar power to the Chaos Heart) as Paper Mario
Attack Potency: At least Large Star level+ (Defeats Bowser daily, who tanked a supernova at the end of Super Mario Galaxy, the low-end for the Powers Stars, which Mario can defeat others whilst using against him, he has overcome) to Galaxy level (The Power Stars also enabled Bowser to create galaxy-sized realms within the walls and paintings. Why galaxy-sized? The Throwback Galaxy is the same exact world as Whomp's Fortress, and is referred to as a galaxy. Additionally, Power Stars are stated by Rosalina to be comparable to Lumas, which are capable of becoming comets, planets, stars, and even galaxies), likely Multi-Galaxy level (Is a Star Child. By being a Star Child, Mario has a star embedded within his heart that grants him sufficient enough power to conquer the universe, given that the other six Star Children are with him) | Multi-Universe level (Overthrew President Koopa's democracy and even managed to kill him. President Koopa wanted to merge the Mushroom World [a.k.a., the Dinosaur Dimension] with reality, making one large universe out of the two) | Solar System level+ to Multi-Solar System level+ (Defeated Bowser during the events of Mario Party 9. In Mario Party 9, the plot is that Bowser has stolen the Mini-Stars from the sky. And apparently, it seems that these Mini-Stars are actual stars in the sky. In the ending cinema, the Mini-Stars are returning to the sky--all of which Bowser said he was going to put to use. It's shown at the end, when many burst after his defeat, that he meant this as they were going to power him. By absorbing those stars, Bowser became this powerful) | At least Universe level+ (Defeated Bowser, who tanked the collapse of his Galaxy Reactor, which was stated to threaten the very fabric of the universe whilst extremely fatigued. Bowser's Galaxy Reactor is repeatedly called a universal threat, and was stated to decide "The Fate of the Universe," solidifying it at this tier. Mario damaged Bowser to the point of unconsciousness, so he definitely scales) to Multi-Universe level in Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Bowser consumed a Grand Star, becoming far superior to himself in the original, pushing him to this tier. Said Grand Star enabled him the power to consume the universe w/ a black hole with zero effort, and Mario still prevailed, once again damaging him to unconsciousness. Shadow Mario polluted and cursed the entirety of Isle Delfino. He also has an amazing amount of knowledge on the secret levels, somehow knowing when Mario enters them and where they are. There are also cartoony designs within these universes [there being 10 of them in totality, with four matching the standards and the others scaling] like the train tracks, which provides more evidence Shadow Mario created them. Because their celestial bodies match ours, and because it's seemingly an infinite void, these are full-blown universes that Shadow Mario created. From scratch, mind you; meaning he also created their space-time continuums. Mario defeated and shares the physicality of Shadow Mario, thus, scales) | At least Universe level (Overpowered Antasma at his fullest, and is equal to Paper Mario in Paper Jam, who created and warped a realm with nebula and stars in it), possibly Universe level+ (Equal to Paper Mario and battled Culex) to Multiverse level+ (Aided in the defeat of Dark Bowser and Shiny Robo-Bowser. Stated in Paper Jam to be equal to Paper Mario) | Multi-Universe level (Defeated Mega Dragon Bowser, and destroyed the Megabug. The former is the form the latter took after absorbing Spawny [who in turn was merged with the SupaMerge Headset] and Bowser. By absorbing the SupaMerge Headset, the Megabug attained its fusionism powers, which was capable of merging Mario's world and the real world) | Multiverse level+ (Tanked a hit from the Star Rod when in a weakened state. At the end of the game, defeated a Star Rod empowered Bowser, who had also been powered up even more via Kammy's contraption), possibly High Complex Multiverse level (Took on Dimentio). High Multiverse level+ w/ the Pure Hearts and the power of wishes (Overpowered Super Dimentio and prevented him from destroying all worlds, dimensions, timelines and possibilities within the Marioverse, and with wishes, overpowered a sustained Star Rod empowered Bowser), possibly Low Hyperverse level (Killed Super Dimentio)
Speed: Massively Hypersonic (Capable of dodging lightning) w/ Relativistic+ reactions (Reacted perfectly fine while racing around Saturn's rings. Since they can race along the E Ring, the furthest ring from Saturn, equating to a distance of 3-8 Saturn radii, and since Saturn's circumference is 227,350.77715498615708106457636117 miles [using its radius and converting it to circumference], then we multiply the result by 8x to get the furthest point of the E Ring. That is 1,818,806.2172398892566485166108894 miles. Since they cover the entire thing in 14 seconds, we divide the distance by the time, and that means they were going at exactly 129,914.7298028492326177511864921 miles per second. Light moves at 186,282 miles per second, so they were moving at roughly 0.69740744084975148098c, or around 70% of the speed of light, which makes them this speed) | Unknown | Massively FTL+ (Fought the Millennium Star, which flew from the center of the universe to Earth in a couple of seconds) | At least Massively FTL+ (Can quickly travel between different galaxies with Launch Star. Dodged attacks from a Grand Star-powered Bowser, who can tag Starship Mario and flew the center of the universe in a short time. Is superior to Rosalina) | Massively FTL+ (Comparable to Antasma, Dreamy Bowser and Dreamy Luigi, the latter who could jump into constellations in less than a second, which takes MFTL+ speed--more specifically a few lightyears per second of speed--to accomplish within such a small time frame), likely Infinite (Fought and easily kept up with Culex, and Culex is the Master of Time and Space, and can consume time. Thus, timeless voids would be his natural environment. He also holds time from its beginning to its end, and during his fight, he was crossing between dimensions. And he was about to leave Mario's and go back to Vanda--thus, he was in between dimensions at the time. Meaning, he was outside of the space-time continuum--which qualifies for infinite speed) | Unknown | Massively FTL+, likely Infinite (Equal to RPG Mario), possibly Immeasurable. Immeasurable w/ the Pure Hearts and the power of wishes (Outpaced and defeated Super Dimentio)
Striking Strength: At least Large Star Class+ to Galactic, likely Multi-Galactic | Multi-Universal | Solar System Class+ to Multi-Solar System Class+ | At least Universal+ to Multi-Universal | At least Universal, possibly Universal+ to Multiversal+ | Multi-Universal | Multiversal+, possibly High Complex Multiversal. High Multiversal+, possibly Low Hyperversal w/ the Pure Hearts and the power of wishes
Durability: At least Large Star level+ to Galaxy level level, likely Multi-Galaxy level | Multi-Universe level | Solar System level+ to Multi-Solar System level+ | At least Universe level+ (Capable of taking hits from Bowser in Super Mario Galaxy) to Multi-Universe level (Can survive hits from Shadow Mario and a Grand Star-powered Bowser) | At least Universe level (Tanked many hits from Antasma at his peak), possibly Universe level+ (Equal to Paper Mario and tanked hits from Culex) to Multiverse level+ (Tanked hits from Shiny Robo-Bowser) | Multi-Universe level | Multiverse level+, possibly High Complex Multiverse level. High Multiverse level+, likely Low Hyperverse level w/ the Pure Hearts and the power of wishes (Tanked countless hits from Super Dimentio)
Stamina: Very high. Infinite w/ the Pure Hearts
Range: Depends on the power-up. Standard melee range to at least several dozen meters with power-ups. Multiversal w/ the Pure Hearts
Standard Equipment: Hammer, F.L.U.D.D., and various power-ups and items.
Intelligence: Genius (Stated to have the knowledge of a physicist, and is a professional doctor. He also outsmarted archaeologists and scientists during his vacation to Pi'illo Island, solving the very mystery that left the aforementioned people scratching their heads. Over time, he can successfully translate Yoshi language, Chain Chomp language and even Shroob language. Built a fully functional submarine out of nothing but a bathtub and water pipes)
Jump: Mario jump on his opponent and crushes him/her with sheer strength. He can perform various jump techniques:
- Spin Jump: Mario spins while jumping, allowing him to jump on spiky enemies and hazards such as buzzsaws. This move can also allow Mario to hover, slowly descend, deflect projectiles, and clear fogs and smoke. Using this move with the Fire or Ice Flower with make Mario scatter fireballs or ice balls in multiple directions.
- Drill Spin: After using a Spin Jump or spinning in air, Mario will descend and spin much faster in a drill-like fashion with tremendous force. This attack does double damage on spiky enemies.
- Super Jump Punch: Mario strikes the target multiple times with a punch while jumping.
- Super Jump: Mario will jump multiple times on a single enemy at a quick rate. He can do this up to 100 times in a row.
- Ultra Jump: This attack is not only more powerful than Super Jump, but it can attack multiple enemies at once.
Pyrokinesis: Mario can manipulate fire and perform various fire techniques without a fire flower in some games. Some of his techniques includes:
- Fireball: Mario will shoot a ball of fire from his hands. In Mario Kart: Double Dash, he can shoot up to five of them at once.
- Firebrand: Taught by the Fire God. Mario charges fire energy in his palm and unleashes an explosive blast of flame on the enemies in close range. The fireballs from this move can be accumulated into a huge fireball for Mario to spike down on the target, inflicting a burn status upon the opponent.
- Super Flame: Mario unleashes a barrage of large powerful fireballs from his fist.
- Fire Swing: Mario swings the weapon so fast that it catches on fire and then strikes the target with it. The target is then cloaked in fire afterward.
- Fire Strike: Mario's Super Strike. He strikes the target with such speed and force, the receiving end will catch fire.
- Fiery Metal Mario: Mario's Mega Strike. He jumps incredibly high in the air, turning into a fiery Metal Mario and then delivers a kick that has tremendous re-entry force.
Iron Hammer: Mario summons a giant iron hammer and hits the target with it. The force from the hit is powerful enough to leave a blazing trail on the target.
Magic Weapon: Mario forges a weapon of pure energy in shape of a hockey stick. It's only seen in Mario Sport Mix in a battle against the Behemoth.
Mario Tornado: Mario horizontally spins like a tornado, trapping opponents in a series of hits if they get caught.
Flip: Taught by Bestovius in Super Paper Mario. Mario flips into a realm called the "3D dimension", rending attack from enemies in the 2D realm useless and vice versa if he is in the 2D realm. However, he takes damage if he remains in the realm for long.
Capture: Mario can use Cappy and throw his hat onto something to possess almost anything, from people, to animals, robots, objects, electricity itself, and even actual people in the promotional trailers. Heck, he possessed the Super Mario Odyssey logo and walked around, and could do so to letters and numbers on the screen. He can also seemingly possess the game and activate a cutscene in Odyssey, so the Capture ability is extremely powerful.
Battle Cards: Mario can utilize cards with special effects to give himself an advantage in battle. Effects can range from increase his attack, defense, and speed, doing the exact opposite to his opponent, recovering health, nullifying damage, or stopping time.
Spin Drill: Mario uses a drill to directly pierce through planets, dirt and enemies on his way (cannot drill through hard/un-drillable surfaces).
Invisibility Hat: Mario can just slip on the Invisibility Hat to become completely invisible without any traces at all, and without any time limit.
Power-ups: Mario can use several items which grant him several forms with special abilities which are stated in this list:
- Fire Mario: Shoots fireballs of different sizes. The biggest ones are usually bigger than him.
- Cape Mario: Float, fly, create earthquake by slamming the ground, slow descent, reflect objects and spin at enemies.
- Superstar Mario: Similar to Cape Mario with additional super speed and invincibility
- Tanooki Mario: Grows a tail to attack with, turn into an invincible statue, and fly
- Raccoon Mario: Similar to Tanooki Mario but without the ability to turn into a statue.
- Hammer Mario: Throw hammers and block fire when ducking
- Metal Mario: Invincibility, destruction of enemies, walking underwater, no need for air for a few seconds
- Vanish Mario: Intangibility and invisibility for a few seconds
- Boo Mario: Can float, go through walls, turn invisible, and attract Boos
- Ice Mario: Freeze obstacles such as water or lava upon contact for some seconds(Super Mario Galaxy). Also shoot ice balls that can freeze enemies, fireballs, magical attacks(New Super Mario Bros Wii), and reduces their speed, defense, and attack power(Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time).
- Mega Mario: Break almost anything, defeat enemies on contact, invincibility for a few seconds
- Rock Mario: Encases Mario in a rock, making him able to crush enemies and granting the ability to destroy red crystals (who are harder than normal crystals)
- Rainbow Mario: Invincibility, super speed, gain star bits, break objects, long jump, higher jump
- White Tanooki Mario: This is basically the same item as the Tanooki leaf but with one major difference; it grants Mario Starman's one-hit kill ability, it also lacks the Starman's time limit so Mario is always in star/rainbow mode while using this item.
- White Raccoon Mario: Similar to the White Tanooki power-up, with the only difference being it's appearance and ability to walk on water.
- Gold Mario: Fires enormous gold fireballs that creates a shockwave explosion on contact instantly killing enemies and turning them into coins. It also shown to increase attack damage and resistances to opponents attacks
- Cat Mario: Grants the ability to climb walls, scratch enemies with claws, perform a dive bomb attack, and increase sprint speed. It has a variant called Lucky Cat Mario, where it has all of the same abilities and the additional power to turn into a gold invincible statue that has the Starman's one hit kill ability
- Double Mario: Mario creates a clone of himself. He can spawn up to five of them.
Paper Mario Weaponry: Mario has a ton of weaponry from his Paper themed games.
- Hammer: Whacks one enemy with a super-strong hammer. Damages multiple enemies if executed well with shockwave. (can be repeated 3x)
- Slaphammer: Strikes a single foe from the side with a super strong whack.
- K.O hammer: Whacks a single enemy from the side with a super-strong hammer. Damages multiple enemies if executed well.
- Eekhammer: If you're good, strikes a single foe many times with super strong whacks.
- Hurlhammer: Hurls a huge hammer into the air that plunges down and strikes all foes with super strong force, Also hits flying foes.(can throw smaller ones 3x or one big/huge hurl hammer)
- Baahammer: Makes all foes very/extremely sleepy with significant damage.
- Blazehammer: Looses a giant flame on impact, burning/scorching/charbroiling most foes well done.
- Chillhammer: Releases a frigid blast, freezing most foes with a powerful/arctic chill.
- Super Boots: Spin Jump which can break through wooden floor panels and reveal hidden panels.
- Ultra Boots: Tornado Jump which retains its previous ability and allows Mario to get some extra height for his jumps. They also upgrade the strength of his jump attack
- Spring Jump: Mario jumps high into the air and lands on the enemy with tremendous force.
- Jump: Stomps a single enemy with a super-strong jump up to 5 times. (can be repeated 3x)
- Line Jump: Stomps all enemies in order with a super-strong jump—forward and backward with perfect execution.
- Hopslipper: Quickly stomps a single enemy with super power, up to 10 times. (can be repeated 3x)
- Iron Jump: Stomps even spiked enemies with a super-strong jump. (can be repeated 3x)
- Spin Jump: Stomps a single enemy—spiked or not—with a strong metal drill. Damages many enemies if executed well.
- Clone Jump: Cloned Marios stomp a single foe with a super strong jump
- Infinijump: Stomps a single foe many times. This sticker is mega strong if you can keep stomping.
- Super Boot: Avoids enemy attacks with a jump, As a bonus, any increased attack power of subsequent jump-type stickers a fair bit.
- Tail: Strongly counters enemy attacks with a tail swipe. Has no effect against attacks from above
- Frog Suit: Dodges enemy attacks by jumping over them, As a bonus, and increased attack power of subsequent stickers a fair bit.
- Spike Helmet: Protects against and powerfully counters attacks from above with the helmet's spike.
- Fire Flower: Throws very hot fireballs at multiple foes.
- Ice Flower: Throws pretty strong balls of ice at multiple foes.
- Leaf: makes every attack or block, successful. (as if automatic)
- POW block: Deals pretty serious damage to all foes when hit. Can also crumple foes.
- (Green/Red/Blue) Shell: Hits ground-bound foes with a pretty strong sliding shell.
- Snowball: Launches a giant snowball that snares all ground-bound foes. Doesn't reach high-flying foes.
- Spike Ball: Provides a spiked ball that can be thrown at a single foe. Doesn't reach high-flying foes.
- Barrel: Provides a barrel that can be hurled at a single foe. wrench: a wrench that can be chucked at a single foe.
- 'Bone: Throwable bone that can hit a single foe. boomerang: a boomerang that hits all foes in its flight path.
- Bomb: Calls forth a tossable bomb that can explode and hit multiple grounded foes
- Sombrero: A throwable hat that can hit a single foe.
- Throwing Star: throwing star that can hit a single foe.
- Sweet Treat: Replenishes HP and FP, as well as curing all status effects.
- Earth Tremor: This power creates an earthquake that can do damage against all enemies.
- Clock Out: If, successful, immobilizes all enemies temporarily.
- Power Lift: Boosts attack and defense power for a short time
- Art Attack: Any amount of damage can be done depending on how many times encircled around the enemies.
- Sweet Feast: Replenishes HP and FP, as well as curing all status effects. to a greater degree
- Showstopper: If, successful, destroys enemies in a single blow.
- Supernova: This attack does damage to all enemies in a shattering explosion.
Key: Standard | In the Super Mario Bros. Film | In the Mario Party series | In the 3-D Mario games | In the RPGs | Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle | Paper Mario
NOTE: The Standard key serves a different purpose than other keys. Unlike other keys, the Standard key draws from feats across the franchise for the sole purpose of scaling. Which is why its A.P. comes from a Yoshi's Island game while its speed hails from an M&L game. Its only purpose is to scale others from using decently consistent feats.